How to get Sitemap generator to work?

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM
I've installed Graffitit Extras 1.2 on my new Graffiti 1.1 installation. Graffiti is installed in a subdirectory and the resulting site is at http://bussinger.org/blog. The site itself works fine, the plugin shows up, I've set the configuration fields to "~/sitemap.xml" and "bussinger.org", and I've enabled the plugin. But I can't seem to get it to do anything. I've tried http://bussinger.org/sitemap.xml and http://bussinger.org/blog/sitemap.xml (and tried using "~/blog/sitemap.xml" for the configuration setting). Nothing seems to return anything. There are no entries in the log relating to the plugin.

HELP! What am I missing?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM
Have you added/updated anything to/in your applicaiton? Plug-in will generate/update the sitemap when you insert new content or update an existing post.

Please test this and let me know if you still have any problems.

+ Don't forget to grant write access to your Graffiti application.
Oct 2, 2008 at 10:42 PM
That was it -- I hadn't changed anything so it hadn't tried to do anything yet. I added an issue ticket recommending that you run the routine to create the sitemap.xml file at some additional point in time to ensure it gets created when you first install it. Having to make a change just to force an update is a bit obscure.

I also added a ticket requesting that the plugin modify the robots.txt file automatically to include the sitemap file.

I have another question though -- would it make sense to add the search engine sitemap submission URL's to the "Ping Service Urls" settings in the Graffiti Blogging extensions? I'm new to the sitemap thing, but it seems like it would be appropriate. Or once you submitted the sitemap the first time, do the engines automatically check them often anyway?

Thanks for the efforts you've put into the Graffiti Extras!

P.S. Does Waegis handle trackback and pingback spam as well as comment spam?
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2008 at 3:53 AM
Actually the plug-in mechanism in Graffiti allows you to run your code on specific events, so it may not be possible to schedule events on a regular basis. As sitemap contains data for individual posts, I think it makes sense to regenerate it when posts are added/updated.

I don't think it's a good idea to include sitemap in robots.txt. Actually it wouldn't be included. You need to add your sitemap URL to Google or Live search webmasters panel manually.

I couldn't understand what you meant by submission to ping service URLs but from my perspective it doesn't add anything for you.

Yes, Waegis handles trackback and pingbacks spams as well as comment, forum, wiki and email spam.
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2008 at 4:35 AM
Sorry, I was wrong about robots.txt. After a search, I found that it can help autodiscovery. I'll put this in the queue for the next version to see if it's possible to change the robots.txt autoamtically.
Oct 3, 2008 at 5:08 AM
I wasn't thinking you'd change the part about regenerating on posts, I just wanted to add a one-time initial generation to avoid the situation I fell into. I wasn't sure there'd be a just-installed event but thought there'd probably be an event when the settings were changed that would work for you. Another option would be to regenerate when the plugin is first enabled (assuming there's an event for that). In any case it I think it would be easier for noobs like me if it created an initial version of sitemap.xml automatically at some point.

My comments about the pings had to do with this discussion: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34609. There's a special URL you can access that tells Google that you've changed your sitemap. Pretty much what I think pinging someplace like pingomatic.com does for RSS feeds. There are similar URLs for the other major search engines as well. I just not sure it's a good idea to do it or not. I'm pretty new to the SEO stuff.

Thanks for the help!
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:20 PM
I've just discovered the sitemap plugin, it's a great addition.

One comment; wouldn't it be possible to also regenerate the sitemap when one uses the "Rebuild Pages" function under the menu Site Options>Utilities>Rebuild Pages 

This would make sure the sitemap is OK even when many pages have changed.

Again, thanks for makin this plug-in!

/joakim
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Thank you for your comment but this is pointless because sitemap is regenerated for each and every change, so there is no problem with that mechanism.

If we do this when pages are rebuilt then there is a high chance that sitemap stays out of date for a very long time.

The last point is that there is no extensibility API to get access to this page in Graffiti.
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM
<please disregard>
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply!

I didn't mean that you should stop generating the sitemap for every new post being added. i only suggested that the sitemap *also* be re-generated if all pages are rebuilt.

I don't know Graffiti well enough yet to understand if/how this could be done but it would make sense if a plug-in could register for a system wide event such as "regenerate" all pages.

If that can't be done then your plugin is still great!

Cheers,
Joakim